Cannibis (Marijuana) Establishments
Moratorium on Cannabis Establishments
In anticipation of the legalization of marijuana in Connecticut, the Planning and Zoning Commission established a temporary and limited nine-month moratorium on cannabis establishments. This moratorium is scheduled to expire on March 21, 2022. The purpose of the moratorium is to give the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council time to develop specific regulations related to the sale and cultivation of cannabis (marijuana) in Mansfield.
Draft Framework and Approach
The Commission's Regulatory Review Committee has developed a draft framework and approach to regulation of cannabis establishments. Next steps include:
- October 2021. Seeking feedback on the approach from Town advisory committees
- November 2021. Holding a joint meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council to review the draft approach and feedback received from both advisory committees and the public. Once the approach is finalized, staff will work with the Regulatory Review Committee and Town Attorney to draft revisions to Zoning Regulations, and, if necessary, the Code of Ordinances.
- December 2021. We anticipate that changes to the Zoning Regulations will be initiated by the Planning and Zoning Commission in December.
- February 2022. If the above steps and schedule are met, the tentative timeframe for a public hearing on proposed amendments to the Zoning Regulations is February 2022.
- Draft Framework and Approach (Revised September 20, 2021)
- Southeastern Connecticut Council of Governments (SECCOG) White Paper on Municipal Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis Establishments
- June Special Session Public Act 21-1
- August 30, 2021 Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting
- September 17, 2021 PZC Regulatory Review Committee Meeting
- September 20, 2021 Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting
Please send any comments on proposed regulations related to the sale and cultivation of cannabis in Mansfield to PlanZoneDept@MansfieldCT.org. All comments received will be provided to the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council as they consider the approach and changes to Zoning Regulations and the Code of Ordinances.