Motor Vehicles

Signed Proof

If a vehicle has been disposed of, sold, junked, or traded, and the plates have been cancelled with the Department of Motor Vehicles, signed proof (with manner of disposal) must be sent to the Assessor's Office or faxed to 860-429-7785. We will pro-rate bills by the month.

COVID-19 Update: For the fastest service, please email proofs to

We are audited by the State and are required to have proof of disposal for adjustments. For further information, please view the Motor Vehicle Tax Bills Frequently Asked Questions (PDF).

Cancellation of Registration

Cancellation of registration must be made through the Department of Motor Vehicles and plates must be returned. Mail a copy of the signed receipt (with manner of disposal) from the Department of Motor Vehicles to your local Assessor's Office for adjustments.

Please Note, cancellation of registration alone is not enough; the vehicle must no longer be in your possession. Non-registered vehicles are taxable and must be declared as personal property each October.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.